<VV> Concentric wheel spacer necessary?

Hugo Miller Hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Wed Nov 29 02:14:32 EST 2017

#### That is amazing! The UK government has commissioned university studies
to try to find the cause of "wheel loss syndrome" and they're still
scratching their heads about it - and you've just summed it up in one neat
sentence. The back wheels of my coaches have EIGHT surfaces all clamped
together with one set of lug nuts (you have the outside face of the hub
flange; two faces on the brake drum; two faces of a spacer they have fitted
for some reason; two faces of the inner wheel; one face of the outer wheel).
If you have .010" of rust, dirt or worse still, paint, on each of those
surfaces, you end up with almost a tenth of an inch gap, once the constant
heating & cooling, braking and acceleration have taken their toll & rubbed
it all off. No wonder they fall off!
    My solution is to thoroughly clean all the faces, and to spray them with
cavity wax rust preventative or similar (this is the UK where we use a lot
of salt on the roads), and to grease the studs. Then I fit Ric-clips to make
sure the nuts don't come loose (they're a figure-of-eight spring clip in
case they don't exist in the States - equivalent to Zafety-lug clips or
whatever they're called). I never use a torque wrench - just do them up by
feel. Never had a problem.
    The reason this was never a problem with the old-style fixings is that
the wheels were located by cones on the studs and on the nuts, and weren't
in contact with anything else.
    That system you describe, with the square end on the stud or whatever it
is, I've seen that on American trucks, but it does not exist in the UK.
British coaches have 1+5/16" lug nuts, only we have to call them 33mm now.
European commercials, on the other hand, have 32mm nuts!
    One thing that does concern me is that I've watched the tire fitters in
the US truck stops do the lug nuts up (dry) with an air gun, then just let
the jack down & drive off. I like to feel the nuts going up.
    As an aside, I  recently bought an old car as a runabout for a friend
here in the UK. It was advertised as having a collapsed wheel bearing, which
had been diagnosed by the AA (=AAA). I drove it back & I thought it sounded
like the wheel nuts were loose, but I didn't have a jack to test them, or a
lever to pry the wheel trim off. I drove it about thirty miles home and sure
enough, when I popped the wheel trim off, the nuts were all loose! Nothing
else wrong with it! It had damaged the holes in the wheel, but the studs
were still ok - just a slight mark on them.
    The reason I tell this story is to illustrate just how much it takes for
a wheel to fall off a car. I reckon I could have done another hundred miles
before they fell off.