<VV> More on Easy Outs

hank kaczmarek dockaz57 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 22:00:03 EDT 2017

Smitty and I aren’t always in the habit of agreeing. However, he’s not without experience as a Navy Aircraft mechanic, and the many years he’s done just about everything to his own cars. I’ve learned a lot by talking less, and listening more.  For the purposes of this list, there may be 10 ways to do something, and there’s a safe bet Smitty has tried all 10.  So normally I listen.
In my nearly 2 dozen years behind parts counters I have dubbed many a person “Mr. Torquewrench” when it is obvious that someone gorilla-armed something.  Then there’s always the trick of renting the parts store Torquewrench and sliding a jack handle over it to use it as a breaker bar----GREAT for the Torque Wrench.

Smitty’s right as rain.  I’ve seen in about 8 of 10 cases, the IMPROPER use of the Easy—out has caused more problems than originally encountered.  Brought to the Parts counter for “Where the hell do I go from here?”  As (of course the parts guy knows everything),  I refer them to a machine shop, where a skilled machinist, who knows patience and ability are virtues, uses an easy-out properly and fixes the issue.

Maybe it’s just me---but If I’ve never used something, I like to have someone with me (not to do it for me) but to kind of hold my hand and make sure I do it right.  WAY too many folks have bought easy outs from me, admitting they’ve never used one before, didn’t listen to my FREE advice, and were back in the store in an hour more on their ass than before they came the first time.

Google and You Tube is the bain of the DIY auto repair game.  Watch a few videos---doesn’t mean you can do it.

HANK

Sent from Mail for Windows 10