<VV> Final update re VV> Low Coil Volts Issue? Was actually fuel-related

Rod Murray rmurray at pittsburghpenguins.com
Thu Jul 26 07:32:56 EDT 2018

Who doesn’t like a happy ending?

Problem resolved on Wednesday of convention week...final steps were:  drained the tank from underside inline filter location, swapped fuel pump, changed fuel filter, and swapped problem carb for a temp carb provided by buddy Kurt Foltz...then drove to convention so John Sweet could take a peek when he was able to take a break from his outdoor vending - aside from jet replacement he also noticed a bad accelerator pump spring that we replaced (thanks Bill Clapper!).  put it back together then did some field surgery in the parking lot to put the original carb back on...got it dialed in and balanced, and she’s back to her old strong self, probably even a little better w the serviced accelerator pump and a new 12v lead to the pertronix Flame II coil.

Appreciate the supportive suggestions and the typically awesome CORVAIR folks who lent a hand...and a few parts...and a few shotgun rides...

Thx, rod

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 21, 2018, at 4:28 PM, Michael Kovacs via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:
>
> Rod,
>
>  What did the fuel filters show?  What you see in the carb fuel bowl? If you cant blow through filters with your breath, they are clogged beyond effectiveness and by passing gasoline. You probably knew this. An other trick is to remove the air cleaners, start the engine take it up to high RPM by holding the cross shaft down some.
>
>  Hold your palm over the carb and fully choke it while still holding enough high engine speed to prevent stalling. You may have to really open up the unchoke carb. Try this on both for about 5-6 sec and let it go back to idle in between. This may pull any clog through the carb, especially the main jet. Old trick.
>
>  Old cars are always got something to drive you nuts   Mike
> good luck.
>
>    On Saturday, July 21, 2018, 10:09:03 AM EDT, Rods Gmail <rmurray8996 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Quick update...new 12v line is in.  Issue now being traced back to carbs/bad gas.  So on the upside, I’ve narrowed it down and it does not appear to be electrical after all, and I now have proper voltage to. The coil. The downside is I’m still dealing w the issue of shit in the fuel system...I pulled and cleaned both carbs yesterday, put them back on and engine ran great for about 5 minutes before problem reoccurred on the opposite carb.
> Argh

Rod Murray
Senior Director, Production and Game Presentation
Pittsburgh Penguins
rmurray at pittsburghpenguins.com
Office: 412-255-1906 | Fax: 412-255-1980 | Mobile: 412-719-3449
PPG Paints Arena | 1001 Fifth Avenue | Pittsburgh, PA | 15219