<VV> Rampside tires

James Davis hurricanehazel16 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 17:30:46 EDT 2018

Believe me, you don't want a FC to handle the way it did when it was made -
with 4 or 6 ply bias ply tires and the old Delco shocks.  The FCs came with
special 14x6 j mod rims so the steering knuckle could fit inside the rim
lip.  Car 14" rims have a different offset (or more backspace) and are
usually coded j j, thus they don't fit.  The easy fix if you can't find the
original rims is to go with 15" car rims.  As for tire size, the old
14x7bias ply tire had a diameter of 25.5" aprox.  The P195/75-14 radial
tire is the correct diameter but is 7.7 inches in section width (the bias
ply tire had a 7.0" section width) where as the P185/75-14 has a section
width of 7.2" but has a rolling diameter of 25".  With a P195/75-14 tire
and a 3.55:1 rear gear, the engine would be turning .2,806 rpm @ 60 rpm
with a manual trans and 3,050 rpm with a PowerGlide.  Clarks list a great
selection of odometer drive gears for the diff.  So get the look you want
and with a simple gear change you can correct the odometer.
Jim Davis
With a 61 Ramp since 1984 (169,000 mile ago)