<VV> 64 engine dies Resolution

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Wed Jun 20 15:48:58 EDT 2018

Smitty Says;  It is great to be able to question a large group of people and
get answers that may shed light on a problem.
I have been guilty of making this mistake so I can't complain too loudly but
I sure wish when answer time comes that the people wanting answers had read
the initial quest for help.  In my initial description of the problem I said
the ballast resistor got hot enough to fry chicken on.  It now merely gets
warm.  It was an error that I didn't say how the wires through the tunnel
were read out.  An Ohm meter was the tool of choice.  Not a volt meter.  The
readings were good when the circuit was cold.     In another post I was
advised on Ohms law and I laughed.  I learned ohms law from my dad maybe 75
years ago when I was building Chrystal sets.  In any event, thanks for all
the good and helpful inputs.

From: Hugo Miller <hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk>
Was it overheating? They are meant to get hot, aren't they? This also
illustrates the hazard of checking power supply with a voltmeter, as I
said previously; you don't say as much, but I reckon you would still
have got 12 volts at the meter with no lead on the dirty connection -
only when it has to pass enough current to power the coil (or a test
lamp) will the voltage drop become apparent.