<VV> Freeing a stuck motor

roboman91324 at aol.com roboman91324 at aol.com
Wed Jun 20 18:14:56 EDT 2018

Hugo,

The motor had some oil in the pan but that doesn't mean it hadn't been run without oil at some point. If it had, I don't think that is why it seized because the bearings were intact.  I was able to loosen the wrist pins by tapping with a hammer.  I suspect that over years and years of sitting stationary that the oil in all the contact parts turns sticky and eventually solidifies; that and/or rust.  There was no evidence that the motor had been submerged in water but it may have been left out in the rain. However, no water poured out and the sheet metal wasn't rotted out.  Keep in mind that moisture will find its way into every nook and cranny of a motor if it is left to sit long enough.  Just humidity in the air will eventually cause a motor to rust inside and out and potentially seize.  This is more likely to happen in a place like Florida (or the UK?) than in most parts of Arizona.  Salt air near the ocean can devastate anything with steel or iron.

Sticky/seized wrist pins, sticky/seized rod and main bearings and pistons stuck to the cylinder walls all contribute to a seized motor.  Of course, the piston rings in contact with the cylinder walls is the main culprit.  Considering the force it took for my hydraulic press to pop the pistons loose
there is no way I could have freed the motor up without taking it apart.

Doc