<VV> Monza GT practically abandoned in Nowhere, PA in 1976 ... was : two seater Corvairs

Charles Lee chaz at properproper.com
Thu Oct 18 13:08:25 EDT 2018

Back in 1976, I found the Monza GT practically abandoned, slated for
demolition, in Nowhere, PA...

I was driving home from a CORSA convention (in Pittsburg?) and while looking
for a gas station, I passed by an open parking lot on a cloudy Sunday
afternoon.

I made a few phone calls and wrote a few letters to ALCOA (where I found the
car) and they had it "on loan" because it was slated to be scrapped as was
their custom.

So I called GM who confirmed ALCOA's story, and I asked if "we" (CORSA)
could have it rather than destroying it, but that would require a certified
museum, which we did not have at the time.

A few years later, the car showed up at the Detroit CORSA convention, and I
was edified to see GM had at least changed their mind and restored it nicely
for THEIR museum?

Skip ahead to 2016, 38 years later, and I went to the grand re-opening of
the Petersen, and "What to my wondering eyes did appear?"

My old friend the Monza GT was waiting patiently right in the opening foyer
for our reunion!

https://www.facebook.com/SirCharlz/media_set?set=a.10204920503824987&type=3

Sadly, automakers considered "dream cars" aka "prototypes" as "sketch pads"
and routinely destroyed them because (a) they took up too much space to keep
them all, and (b) did not let anyone have them to prevent their ideas from
being pirated.

I even got to "drive" GM's Corvair Custom Prototypes (Way back when~)
https://www.facebook.com/SirCharlz/media_set?set=a.10204679443758636&type=3

Charles Lee