<VV> Fuel Leak / lug nuts

Hugo Miller Hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Sat Sep 29 03:37:08 EDT 2018

I would love to debate this with you, but this is probably not the right
forum! I will confine myself to a few comments; the metric system and the
decimal system are two different things. Metric is of course decimal, but
not necessarily vice-versa; - Metric is an artificial political construct
designed by Napoleon as a sign of conquest, as was the command to drive
(carriages!) on the right. Napoleon even wanted to decimalise the clock!
The infant America decided to drive 'on the French side' in a moment of
post-revolutionary fervor.
Britain, until the early '70s, had a currency system as follows; 12 Pennies
to a Shilling; 20 Shillings to a Pound. We had a Two Shilling & Sixpence
coin called a Half-Crown, and there were eight of them to a Pound. When I
was at junior school, we used to multiply and divide these currencies with
ease. Five Pounds seventeen shillings & three Pence divided by fourteen? I
wouldn't have a clue how to do it today, but it made us very good at math!
And I dislike the metric system in practical terms. I can look at a bolt and
tell you whether it is 5/16" UNF, or 3/8" BSF, or 1/2" UNC, or whatever. I
struggle to do the same with metric bolts. British Jap cars tend to use 13mm
& 17mm wrench sizes, whereas American ones (at least my Mitsubishi Eclipse
Spyder) uses 14 & 18 as you say.
Finally, the metric system is rational, scientific and boring, whereas
traditional measures are idiosyncratic and above all, HUMAN!