<VV> vehicle values, Corvair or otherwise

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Wed Jan 16 12:46:03 EST 2019

VVers:

I shared the results of the Mecum auction with a few friends who are car
guys, although not Corvair guys.  One of them is a former judge from
Texas who is now a professor at a law school here in my town in Rhode
Island.  I thought his response was pretty well written and educational:

[In the judge's words:]

Having been to Barret Jackson many times, I can say that many of the
cars do sell for incredibly high prices; sometimes, it's the result of a
buyer and seller "negotiating" an auction environment.  At other times,
with booze and big egos the prices rise. I would never call the "auction
price" a FMV. The prices are manufactured by the environment and the
auction house's manipulations. One could argue, however, those are still
FMV because someone bought and someone sold.

One example that I was personally involved in had to do with my 1929
Stutz LeBaron Speedster. I sat in front of the auction stand. The tent
was packed. It was morning, but I know the booze was flowing. My
"reserve" price was $165,000. Out of that, I'd pay the auction house 8%
and net the rest sans the expenses of having taken the car to Scottsdale
from San Antonio. It was supposed to be a good "environment" for the
classics.

The car sat on a turntable, with lights beaming off the concours-winning
black paint with red pinstripe. The massive polished alumninum wheels
shined like the sun.

The bidding was fast and furious. "I have 130...and now 135 over
there....now 142...now 145...there's a new bidder with 150.......the
auctioneer was pointing left, then right, right again, then left. Other
auction staff, in the tent, would yell, "yes" and the auction price
would increase by 5,000.

The price stalled at around 150,000. A staffer came over to me and asked
what I wanted to do. I said, "well, close out the auction and say the
reserve was not met." He said, "do you want us to run it up to your
reserve?" That, of course, would leave the unwitting audience thinking
someone had bid the reserve and I chose not to sell at that price.
(Remember, no one, but the auctioneer and seller know the reserve price).

As the staffer, with whom I had just spoken, approached the head
auctioneer on the microphone, someone in the audience yelled "155." OMG,
I thought, the bidding was starting again. The auctioneer was
reenergized and began calling out bids from left and right in nearly
staccato fashion. It quickly ran past my reserve and the car was
declared sold.

After the auction session, I was in the auction office and was told that
there were no bids, at all.....except one lonely bidder who started at
155 with that yell-out. He was the only bidder in the entire tent. And,
all the auctioneer call-outs were shills.

Can we, then, call the selling price FMV? Arguably, yes. But, would you,
as a buyer, want to use that as criteria to determine the value of a car
you're buying? Arguably, no.

[end of judge's words]

Steven J. Serenska
Bristol, RI