<VV> brake help

Steve Gangi sgang54 at aol.com
Wed Jan 23 16:10:57 EST 2019

I'd like to add my two cents as a rubber chemist.  1. When a new rubber seal is exposed to a fluid for the first time it becomes conditioned to that fluid (swells) and takes a set. When that fluid is removed, the rubber slowly recovers (shrinks). DOT 3 brake fluid and Silicone are very different. They do not mix and cause different swelling. Once a brake part has been swelled once in DOT 3 it will not re-swell to the same dimensions in silicone and probably leak. 2. If you are putting silicone into a system previously containing DOT 3 you should at least clean the system with alcohol and dry out completely by blowing compressed air through the lines. Then take apart the cylinders and wipe all the rubber cups off with alcohol. If you are going to go through all that, you might as well put in new rubber cups or new wheel cylinders. I have had similar experiences as many of you; great results with new parts and mixed results taking short cuts. I live near the ocean and silicone is a necessity for old cars. Steve GangiBranford, CT6 Corvairs
Message: 2