<VV> brake help

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Sun Jan 27 02:02:24 EST 2019

On 1/23/2019 7:46 PM, Hugo Miller via VirtualVairs wrote:
> I decided to see if I could find the basis for some of the claims
> against silicone brake fluid. This site had an interesting article,
> including some pics of what happens when you mix silicone &
> non-silicone fluid; The (purple) silicone fluid sits on top of the
> DoT4. But shake it up & let it settle & the colors are reversed! This
> is allegedly due to the DoT4 absorbing the purple dye from the
> silicone fluid.
>
> http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/Fluid/Fluid.htm
>
> This site also mentions compressibility in some detail. It blithely
> states that silicone fluid is more compressible than DoT4, ignoring
> the well-known fact that liquids are not supposed to be compressible!
> (nor is rubber, of course).

Well, obviously rubber and various elastomers are compressible. (perhaps
the comment above was tongue-in-cheek)

But so are liquids - just 'not very', compared to gases.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Tables/compress.html

here's a page with compressability of some liquids.

--
Jay Maechtlen
SoCal