<VV> brake help

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Wed Jan 23 22:46:24 EST 2019

I decided to see if I could find the basis for some of the claims
against silicone brake fluid. This site had an interesting article,
including some pics of what happens when you mix silicone & non-silicone
fluid; The (purple) silicone fluid sits on top of the DoT4. But shake it
up & let it settle & the colors are reversed! This is allegedly due to
the DoT4 absorbing the purple dye from the silicone fluid.

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/Fluid/Fluid.htm

This site also mentions compressibility in some detail. It blithely
states that silicone fluid is more compressible than DoT4, ignoring the
well-known fact that liquids are not supposed to be compressible! (nor
is rubber, of course).

    "Compressibility: The one real problem found with the silicone fluid
is that it is more compressible than glycol fluid, especially at
elevated temperature.  G W Holbrook of Dow Corning Corporation reported
on Alpine testing of Silicone Brake fluids at a SAE meeting in 1981
(another report Hugh Fader gave me).  Alpine descents are used in Europe
to study brakes.  Similar tests are run in the US.  The long hills
provide a good test bed to apply brakes repeatedly to get the
temperature high enough to make the brakes fail."

The short answer is that yes, silicone fluids do give a softer pedal,
but not really enough to notice.

Another thing I learned is that rubber brake hoses can not only absorb
moisture, but also salt, which is a rather scary thought. That probably
accounts for another recent phenomenon, of hoses becoming blocked or
acting as one-way valves, because they now have a membrane to prevent
moisture ingress which, in typical fashion, seems to cause more problems
than it cures.

My (British) Morris Minor brake system is pressurized to 2 or 3 psi,
which keeps the seal lips expanded and stops all the nasty stuff getting
in through the hoses.