<VV> Finding manual transmission oil locally?

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Sun Jun 30 13:05:30 EDT 2019

Here is what I wrote - You will not find the word 'diff' or
'differential' anywhere in my post;

"As a general rule, synchromesh transmissions run best on ATF. What you
want to avoid is hypoid oil, as this will allow the synchro cones to
slip & slide without biting. I have known commercial ZF transmissions
become almost underiveable when filled with hypoid oil.
The problem is that in the good old days, we had hypoid gear oils and
we had EP (extreme pressure) gear oils. So you had EP 90, which was good
for synchro transmissions, and Hypoid 90, which was not. The two were
quite different.
But today, through the magic of modern chemistry, we see EP/hypoid
oils, which serve both functions. I would avoid these and use ATF or EP
90 if you can find it.
I'm not up to speed with the GL numbers - Google will tell you more
than I can. Just steer clear of anything with 'hypoid' on the label."

  The reason I omitted to mention differentials was that we were talking
about synchromesh gearboxes. I was trying to explain in general terms
why hypoid oils, and that includes modern EP/Hypoid oils, are unsuitable
for synchromesh gearboxes. This is not 'bad advice' as you claim - it is
perfectly sound, and the effects of diregarding it can be quite
surprising.
  One would hope that the original poster is aware that his car shares
the oil between gearbox and axle, so would treat my advice about gearbox
oils accordingly, although it does pose something of a conundrum. On
balance, I would be more inclined to put EP oil in a differential than
to put Hypoid oil in a synchro box, but neither is ideal.