<VV> rustproofing a '64 convertible

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh20 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 12:57:32 EST 2019

I would not do that.

While you are at it, you need to look at the defroster distribution tube
that runs from the outside front of the inner rocker to the lower A-piller
which directs air from the rocker heat channel to the defroster hose up
front. The tube itself, and the joint to the rocker rust, allowing water to
get into the tube/rocker from the cowl air vent plenum. Ordinarily the cowl
and air vent stack area are sealed off from the front of the rocker, so no
water can get in the rocker from the cowl. But when the defroster
distribution tube and joint are rusted out water can enter the rocker; it
then generally runs out the front heater outlet onto the front floorboards,
which then rusts them. I also think water running past the the rear quarter
windows can get into the outer rocker (outboard of the separate heat
channel portion) and then runs out the rocker drain slot at the rear; be
sure that slot is clear.

The defroster distribution tube can be seen (with great difficulty) by
looking into the heater floor outlet (you see the inside of the tube) and
through the kick panel vent opening. But to actually repair the rust I
understand you need to cut an opening in the outside of the fender to get
to it.