<VV> rustproofing a '64 convertible

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Sat Mar 2 14:36:58 EST 2019

I have a very rust-free Arizona '64 convertible that  am about to start
restoring. I had a lot of water coming into the car via the heater
outlets on the inside of the rockers. My understanding is that water is
meant to pour into the rockers from the openings in front of the screen
(the previous owner had tried, rather optimistically, to blank these
off). It is then meant to pour out again through openings provided.
Obviously if these outlets become blocked, the rockers will retain some
water, or in my case, a lot of water! If you live in an area where there
is salt on the roads, that is a recipe for disaster. You're never going
to stop it getting in there in the first place - you just need to make
sure it can get out again.
What I would do is pour a cavity wax sealer into the rockers, while
making sure all outlets remain clear. I like Eastwoods internal
protective wax, whatever they call it. Green stuff you spray in through
a thin hose with a 360 degree nozzle on the end, although I might be
inclined to pour it in until it pours out everywhere. It should find its
way into the welded seams and stop any further damage in those areas.
I should add that I do not claim to be an expert on Corvair body
construction, so those more knowledgeable may differ.