<VV> Coil voltage

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Tue Mar 19 08:51:11 EDT 2019

Hi Hugo,

Most Corvairs (and I assume other Chevies of the same vintage) have a resistor wire built in to the harness, thus my question.  The answer is it should be 12V open, and 6 or so closed.

When I say 'waaaay advanced' I mean you can't even see the timing mark, it's got something like 40 degrees in it.  The distributor was replaced with a complete fresh rebuild from a well known rebuilder (Ray Hatchell) and the advance turns the right way and is free.  I've driven a car with the advance backwards, it started and idled fine but had no power.  I also verified that TDC on the pulley (not balancer) corresponds to #1 being at the top of the stroke.  This one does odd things at any point, although it starts best after sitting for a day and seems to get worse if it's been run for any length of time.  Tried a couple coils too, that was the first thing that crossed my mind.  No dice.  I'm going to power the coil directly from the battery next to eliminate the rest of the wiring.

--Bryan