<VV> Steering Adjustment

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Wed Mar 20 20:35:37 EDT 2019

With regard to your point #3, where you say that there will be more
play in the straight ahead position due to wear; I've never worked on a
Corvair box, but every other steering box I have ever come across is
designed so that the play INCREASES as you move away from the straight
ahead position. If you adjust out all the free play, you might find you
have a tight spot at straight ahead.
In fact, I just replaced the entire steering and suspension on my 1960
Impala with a Borgeson box and modified upper & lower suspension arms
(the originals are set up with zero caster, which makes for vague
steering). I had to set the tie-rods up with considerably unequal
lengths, in order to get the tight spot (which was slight but easily
detectable with the front wheels jacked up) in the straight ahead
position.
When I initially fitted the new steering, I just set the tie rods with
equal length, which left me with considerable play when pointing
straight ahead, till I realized what was going on.