<VV> Engine identification.

roboman91324 at aol.com roboman91324 at aol.com
Mon May 13 12:51:47 EDT 2019

Doug is correct.  The reasons that one engine may seem to perform better than another has more factors to consider than CID.  Of course, CID is important.  There are reasons GM increased the displacement in 1964.  Other reasons could include the following.
1.  A worn out 164 could perform worse than a fresh 145.
2.  Gear ratio differences from one car to another could make you think one has a more powerful engine than another.
3.  The performance difference between a 4 speed and a 2 speed will be significant.  Both number 2 and 3 here are car related.  You might swap what you think is the more powerful engine from one car into another and actually get worse performance.
4.  Obviously, there were a wide range of horsepower offerings within 164 CID and 145 CID engines  A turbo 145 CID will likely outperform a lower HP 164.
5.  Over the decades, any number of modifications may have taken place with a particular engine.  There are 145 engines out there that have been modified to be 164 CID engines internally.  Some Corvair gurus could have made carb modifications, swapped in more radical cams, etc.

All of these possible explanations and more could be difficult to confirm without going inside the engine and investigating its components.  I also suggest that you buy a few books and publications for reference.  You will find that they will help you identify some of the differences between generations and varieties of engines.
It sounds like you are just enjoying your cars as drivers.  Maybe you should just leave your favorite as-is and take your time to build the drive train of your dreams for a swap some day down the road.  You might find that you will get more pleasure from improving the cosmetics of your daily driver than swapping in another motor for a 10 or 20 HP improvement.
Doc

Date: Mon, 13 May 2019 01:13:15 +0000 (UTC)From: Doug Mackintosh <dougmackintosh at yahoo.com>To: "hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk" <hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk>Cc: Virtual Vairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org>Subject: Re: <VV> Engine identification.Message-ID: <375167132.12862718.1557709995193 at mail.yahoo.com>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
That does "suggest" a 145 and a 164 (possibly a '65 or newer). Check the numbers before counting your chickens!Hugo said:<<Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 19:51:20 -0400From: Hugo Miller <hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk>To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>Subject: Re: <VV> Engine identification.Message-ID: <9928b218888ef759738d8a0fdb58856c at aruncoaches.co.uk>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Ok, we're getting somewhere; I have one engine (the slower one) with a?pulley and a 0.64" (approx) fan shaft; the other (the engine I'm?thinking of putting in that car) has a harmonic balancer and a 0.74"?(approx) fan shaft. I'll grovel & get some numbers presently, but I'm?guessing that points to my having one 145" and one 164" engine? Both?cars have alternators.>>

-- Doug Mackintosh Corsa member since 1996 Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on