<VV> Engine identification.

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Mon May 13 18:04:29 EDT 2019

I am comparing like with like. The two cars I have been using are both
PG. The car with the best bodyshell has an engine that is not really
happy. Apart from being slower, it has an occasional slight knock when
hot. And the transmission is fierce when shifting.
The other car is good. I think it may have a recon transmission, as it
is all painted blue. The engine is good also, or good enough, anyway, as
I don't particularly want to get bogged down with an engine rebuild at
this stage.
Where it gets complicated is that I have two other potential donor
cars, one of which I have driven. It runs like a dog, but that is due to
carburettor issues. And it overheats, but that I think is due to some
missing sheet metal shrouds. This car has a harmonic balancer.
The final car is a 4 speed manual, but I haven't driven it. It has a
pulley instead of a balancer.
I will get engine numbers off these last two presently, but the engine
compartment seems to have become home to some creature(s) judging by the
amount of nesting material in there. That is not the first time this has
happened to Corvairs in my possession. Do critters have a preference for
Corvair engine compartments or what?
for a couple of years, and the time has now come to restore one properly
and sell the other.
What I am trying to avoid is doing an engine swap and then finding out
that one of the other cars has a better engine in it.
I have learned a lot in the last few days from contributors to this
list - thank you all.