<VV> Bizzare piston slap memories

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Sat Nov 2 07:07:46 EDT 2019

True Redneck engineering! I knew a guy in England many years ago who
rebuilt the crank on his single cylinder 1930's motorcycle on the side
of the road (no idea why he had to do that!). He trued it up by rolling
it along the kerb stone (we have proper cast concrete kerbs on the
highways in England).
Another friend of mine (Nick Skeates - well known in the boating world
these days) rebuilt his 1950 Sunbeam motorcycle and embarked on a tour
of the USA. In the high altitude at Colorado, one of the exhaust valves
started picking up in the guide. So he had the head off at the roadside,
valves out, and eased the guides with a small round file (a "rat's tail"
file) and contnued his adventure.
Ah, the good old days! You had to learn how to be resourceful back
then!