<VV> Bizzare piston slap memories

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Sat Nov 2 03:28:43 EDT 2019

Over the years, a couple of motors I've overhauled have had piston slap.
These were quick 'rings & inserts' jobs, with my un-patented back yard
valve jobs.
(Support a valve in a piece of tubing, let the face spin at an angle to
the side of a fine grit bench grinder, adjust angle to regulate spin
rate. Cleans them up ok. Then lap the fresh valve onto the seat, cleans
the seat and knocks the grinding marks off the valve face)
The motors would chuckle or 'talk' a bit at idle, but they ran fine.
One was a 383 Merc (MEL motor) and one was the Ford 240 cid six.
Of course, the 'slap' from a piston .020 or .030 too small would
probably be pretty awful, and might not quiet down much under load...

--
Jay Maechtlen
SoCal