<VV> Was> PISTON SLAP - story about rings

Charles Sadek Chsadek at comcast.net
Sat Nov 2 10:33:10 EDT 2019

My machinist, hot rod buddy takes on an engine rebuild project. I did the carbs, provided him a block, helped him check and prepared the block, fan height, linkages, distributor, etc. He has built a number of engines over the years. In this instance, doesn't make any difference. New pistons & cyl wall clearance, bearings, rings, did a valve job on good 110 heads. All together, put it on our new run-in engine stand.. smokes.. OK, vary rpm, etc. Oil pressure is good.  Still smokes, as in REALLY SMOKES. What the hell?
Eventually tore it down.. The Corvair ring sets from a major Corvair vendor had wrong oil rings. The center wave expander had no little tits/bumps on it to limit the scraper rings from going in and wedging themselves inward toward piston center. Away from cylinder walls. Now we checked ring gap, eye-balled groove to ring side clearance, compressed and installed. When we compressed the rings, the oil scraper rings stayed compressed... Who'da thunk it?
Check everything.. and count everything.. Smile.
Chuck Sadek