<VV> Stock?

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Sat Nov 9 03:07:54 EST 2019

On 11/8/2019 1:43 AM, Hugo Miller via VirtualVairs wrote:
> My view is that some mods are a matter of subjective taste (like
> extreme custom jobs), while others are an objective improvement. In my
> view, everything listed below will improve driveability withot making
> it any less a Corvair.
> A couple of questions if I may; why TWO fuel pumps? And what do you
> mean by 'tie rod' (this is a linguistic question - I'm in the UK where
> the terminology is often different)?

I hope the following is suitable:

Tie rods usually refer to a portion of the steering linkage - each
spindle has an arm to connect the steering linkage, which are known as
steering arms.

The steering box has an arm (pitman arm) to actuate the linkage that
connect to the steering arms.

On the Corvair, there is a center link that runs from the pitman arm to
an idler arm (same geometry as pitman arm, but pivots freely).

The "tie rods" connect each steering arm to the center link, with ball
pivots at each end. These usually have adjusting sleeves so the tire
toe-in and steering wheel centering can be adjusted.

Two fuel pumps? Sometimes problems can arise with a stock engine-mounted
fuel pump. Some folks like to have an electric fuel pump inline as an
"insurance policy". It can also be useful after having the carburetors
off or having the fuel system opened for whatever reason.

I've seen Jack's car many times - it is a nice, clean Corvair that looks
pretty stock. It is a great example of improving a vehicle while keeping
its spirit and character intact.

> In England, my wife drives a Morris Minor tourer, dating from 1958. I
> have fitted slightly bigger engine (1275cc against the original
> 948cc), an alternator, 1" bigger drum brakes all round, and a higher
> axle ratio. These are all things that the manufacturer would surely
> have done if they had stayed in production. They all improve
> driveability without detracting from the character of the car. Some
> people fit Toyota engines and five speed gearboxes, which is fine, but
> then it no longer has the character of a Morris Minor.
>
> On 2019-11-08 02:24, John Pinard via VirtualVairs wrote:
>> Hi guys
>> There is definitely a place for pure stock Corvairs for educational
>> or historical  purpose, in or out of museums.
>> But for general use modifications are appropriate.
>> My 66 Corsa has stock appearance with improvements in safety,
>> performance, convenience and entertainment.
>> Safety: Hslogen headlights, leds, dual master cylinder, adjustable
>> tie rods, tires.
>> Performance: Larger pistons, roller tocker arms, electronic
>> distributor, 100 w alternator, two electric fuel pumps, performance
>> carbs, Roger Parent throttle linkage.
>> Convenience: 12 v outlet for charging phone, hands free Bluetooth.
>> Entertainment: AM/FM/CD unit in addition to stock AM.
>> These improvements allow for reliable use in Southern California city
>> and freeway traffic.
>> The car has participated in many open events drawing attention with
>> opportunity to discuss changes.
>> And it has won numerous people’s choice awards at Corvair shows
>> competing  against cars with extreme paint, upholstery and engine
>> mods.
>> Bottom line is that I feel okay loaning my improved car to my kids
>> and grandkids.
>> They can experience the joy of driving a Corvair with  safety not
>> available in stock.
>> Regards,
>> Jack Pinard
>> “Oldest  Participant at 2019 Great Western Fan Belt Toss & Swap Meet”
>>
>> iPhone 8s
>> 805.340.6533

Mine, on the other hand, keeps very little of Corvair about it...

--
Jay Maechtlen
SoCal