<VV> Doughnut Spare Tire

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 12:32:49 EDT 2019

For years, I had this odd pattern of flat tires coming in streaks.  I'd have
several over a moderate period of time, then hit a period with none.  I
finally realized the flat tires were in sync with the local construction
booms while the no-flat periods sync'ed with the construction busts.  The
flats were evidently caused by construction debris that fell off the trucks.
Since moving away from the Dallas area, I've only had 1 flat tire in over 5
years.  Most of the time, I have discovered a soft tire while at home and
been able to plug it at home without taking the tire off the car.

There is one thing I have never understood about any of the variations of
"space saver" tires.  The saved space doesn't do you any good unless you use
it for something.  What happens when the day comes that you need to use the
spare?  What do you do with the flat conventional tire you take off?  Do you
toss it in the road ditch and abandon it?  Do you call AAA to haul it home
for you?  Maybe a passenger will volunteer to hold it in their lap.

Jim Becker