<VV> Maybe the starter.

FrankDuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Aug 8 22:46:43 EDT 2020

You are confusing several comments.

1. A cold engine does turn easier than a hot engine. Now, a frozen
engine, as in low temperature frozen, does turn harder! Cold for this
discussion is 70 °F or 21 °C. For our California members! This frozen
slow crank is mostly oil viscosity related for frictional loss.  Even
the oil in he starter bushings, and anything else turned by the engine,
like transmission input gears. Add to that the harder to move fuel, and
harder to atomize fuel at frozen temperatures. Diesel fuel gets hard to
move at 16 °F   (-8° C). BTDT. :)   And then if there is water in the
fuel.....It doesn't move at all!  BTDT also....:)

2. A hot starter also turns harder than a cold starter (again, cold as
in not yet running today, not winter time in Minnesota).

3. Worn parts like bushings in starters allow the armature to be out of
position due to magnetic forces acting upon it. Hence the pole piece
marks on armatures with worn bushings.

4. Worn bushings + drag of armature on pole pieces makes it harder to turn.

5. A mechanical piece of equipment that works OK when cold but not OK
when warm is a temperature related problem. Worn parts change shape due
to heat (as do perfectly fine parts), so a marginally OK starter
suddenly becomes a not good starter because of heat. And as soon as it
and the engine cool down, works fine again. But of course, it is not
working fine, but does start the engine so it does not yet get replaced,
even though it is worn out.

6. No one said the engine alone got so hot the perfectly fine starter
could not turn it over. The starter is bad, the engine is not, just
operating normally as a warm engine, needs more umph to turnover when warm.

7. Not mentioned yet, but related to worn bushings, is starter drive to
flywheel clearance. It might be possible the magnetic forces on the
armature cause it to shift enough in worn bushings to close the gear
gap, causing more frictional loss. When cold, maybe that force is less
due to the engine turning over easier. Starters are series wound motors,
the more the load, the more current they draw, the more magnetic force
increases inside on the armature.

8. The only proof is that just changing the starter fixes the problem.
So, the proof of what is wrong with the starter is change a part at a
time and retest! Who has the time and energy, so just put bushings and
brushes in and call it a day! Ha!

I like having discussions.

Frank DuVal