<VV> Seats

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 10 14:53:39 EDT 2020

                                                                                    B"H
While it is impossible to add the safety features on a 2020 (or even 2000) car to a 1966 Corvair, there ARE a number of things you can do to make the car safer and provide at least some measure of protection in a crash:
1.  All 1966 Corvairs came with front and rear lap belts from the factory.  Make sure the seat belts in the car are in good condition; even better, replace them with more modern lap belts that meet current safety standards.2.  You can, as an option, replace the original seats with seats from a modern car.  Virtually all automobile bucket seats made from 1967-on have latches the prevent them from folding forward during a collision.  The car won't win a stock concours d'elegance, but if you're using the car as a "driver" or don't mind some non-stock modifications, this can be a big help for safety.  I have 1989 Nissan Maxima seats in my 66 Monza 4 door; they are upholstered in the original color and vinyl from Clark's and they don't look original, but they look just fine.  They not only have latches, but they fully recline and include safety headrests as well.3.  Corvairs built after early 1966 have shoulder belt anchors built in.  You can take a new lap belt and use it as a 1969-style shoulder belt.  I did that with my car.4.  Ensure that all mechanicals in the car are in top shape.  That includes suspension, tires, brakes, exhaust, and drivetrain.5.  You could upgrade your steering box to an aftermarket quick box.  1966 Corvairs require a steering column adapter that has a 3" telescoping section that would absorb energy in a front end collision (late-1965 and 1966 Corvairs have a jointed steering column that offers a slightly better measure of safety than the previous one-piece steering shaft). 6.  You can add other safety items, such as 4-way flashers, intermittent wipers, from aftermarket vendors (or build them yourself). 7.  Always drive defensively!  Even the best safety features won't protect you from driving intoxicated, agressively, or exceeding the speed limit!
Good luck and always drive safely!...Bill Hershkowitz                                                       66 Monza Sport Sedan 110, PG, A/C