<VV> Five Speed Transaxles

The Corvair Kid kentsu at corvairkid.com
Tue Aug 11 00:04:06 EDT 2020

James,

A long thread here:

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,837068,page=1

--Kent

-----Original Message-----
From: VirtualVairs <virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org> On Behalf Of James P.
Rice via VirtualVairs
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2020 7:26 PM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Five Speed Transaxles

All:  Back in 1999 there was a effort to install 5-speed transmissions in LM
Corvairs.  I remember there was much talk of them at the Lake Tahoe CORSA
Convention.  IIRC, the transmission came out of a Chevy S10 or a GMC Sonoma.

Then one application broke.  On the way to the Convention.  Clark's even
offered them for what I assume was a short period of time.

Some years later at a Performance Corvair Workshop, someone tried to discuss
them and the problems and the fixes "they " had developed.  The speaker was
obviously intimidated in front of this crowd, and could barely be heard
beyond the first two rows.  Seth eventually came to his aid.  What I took
from the session was they had solved the oiling issue and the instillation
was good to go.

Only I have never heard anything more about it.  Can anyone up-date the
story?

Now what is probably a silly idea.  Has anybody looked into stuffing a 5 or
6 speed from a FWD car inside a 66-69 transmission case?  It is actually
huge for the power a Corvair makes.  I know it is unlikely for any to fit
w/o some serious modifications to shaft/bore locations.  But would it not be
really cool to shift one or two more times going down the road?

Going back to the '84 Dodge Shelby Charger I once had, all the non-Corvairs
and one Sonoma pick-up we have owned had 5 or 6 speeds, except for a 95(?)
Dodge Avenger which was a 3 speed auto with overdrive.

I had the 5 speed transaxle out of the Shelby Charger once and was amazed
how small it was.  It would have easily fit into a 66-69 Corvair 4-speed
box.

Don't hurt yourselves by falling off your chair laughing.  VBG!!!

Historically Yours,

		James Rice