<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 187, Issue 29

William Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Sun Aug 16 06:24:06 EDT 2020

Bah!  Newtonian physics!!  Relatively speaking, acceleration means any change in velocity.

“Any change in the velocity of an object results in an acceleration: increasing speed (what people usually mean when they say acceleration), decreasing speed (also called deceleration or retardation), or changing direction (called centripetal acceleration). Yes, that's right, a change in the direction of motion results in an acceleration even if the moving object neither sped up nor slowed down. That's because acceleration depends on the change in velocity and velocity is a vector quantity — one with both magnitude and direction. Thus, a falling apple accelerates, a car stopping at a traffic light accelerates, and an orbiting planet accelerates. Acceleration occurs anytime an object's speed increases or decreases, or it changes direction.”

Bill