<VV> 5-speed transmission

Cliff Tibbitts cliff at tibweb.com
Tue Aug 18 12:44:09 EDT 2020

Wowzer, I never dreamed my simple answer to a question would arouse so much
interest.

Kent, was there any empirical testing done prior to your installation?
Just curious because I was not around when these units came out.  The
testing would be nice to have but expensive and who would want to do it?

On the other hand, seat of the pants experience counts for something as
well.  Consider this.  These cars were built in the 60's before most of the
present day Interstates were even built.  The national speed limit for most
thoroughfares was 60 or 65 MPH.  Also consider that these cars were
expected to spend most of their time running around town at speeds of 35-45
MPH.  At those speeds the engine would have been 2000 RPMs plus or minus
500 depending on gear ratios.  Therefore I think again, that the cooling
should not be a problem unless the RPMS dropped below 2000 rpm.  In which
case, I would downshift.  I do that now with my 4 speed.

Finally, and I don't have the information in front of me, but I read once
that the cooling ability of the fan decreases above 4000 RPM so for people
who like to drive at 75-80 on the interstate, I think a 5th gear would help
quite a bit.
--

Cliff Tibbitts
cliff at tibweb.com