<VV> Coil voltage etc.

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Mon Feb 17 00:49:25 EST 2020

That's the first time I heard that it had anything to do with points,
and I'm not convinced by it now. That's what capacitors are for, isn't
it? The fact of the matter is that when you engage the starter, you will
suck so much voltage out of the battery that there is only about 9v
left, which compromises the spark if you have a coil that wants 12v. The
solution was to fit a 9v coil and feed it 9 volts via a resistor, while
giving it the full 12 volts, or what was left of it, when the starter
was engaged.
Back home in the UK we never used this system, until Fords introduced
it. And the British Fords were TERRIBLE at starting. I'm going back to
the 70's. You would keep cranking for ages before you could persuade
them to start, and sometimes you just gave up. And the clutches were
impossible to bleed. And, unlike British cars, you couldn't take the
sump (oil pan) off without taking the engine out. I have always hated
Fords, and still do.
British cars of that era managed to start just fine with a normal 12v
coil. But for taxation purposes, British cars always had smaller engines
so took less power to crank over. (They used to be taxed on notional
horse-power, which was effectively a product of piston area, so british
cars tebded towards small long-stroke engines - which was why the Model
T never sold in England). Some British cars with larger engines, like my
XKE, run a 9v coil with a ballast resistor, but I never saw a system
where the resistor was incorporated in the coil wire till I bought a
Corvair.
Bottom line is, in the UK at any rate, 12v coils are labelled 12v, and
9v coils are labelled 9v. That avoids any confusion.