<VV> 'Hour-glass' head screws?

William Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Thu Jan 2 09:46:04 EST 2020

Hugo,

I think you are confusing the more modern “one-way” screw with the older, now largely obsolete “bow tie” screw.  The “bow tie” was indeed called a clutch head screw and that designation can still be found on many sites.

This Wikipedia article clearly distinguishes between the two.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

Bill

> On Jan 2, 2020, at 8:49 AM, Hugo Miller via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:

That's a rather confused article - not least because it keeps referring to screws as 'rivets'. But a 'clutch-head', as the name implies, has a drive that works one way but not the other, for security purposes. The 'hour-glass' slotted screws that hold on the shield over the throttle cable, for example, do not have any sort of clutch, nor are they security fasteners. After all, who is going to steal a throttle cable? You can, if you're lucky, undo them with a screwdriver, but I had to grind down an allen key to undo some of mine.
So two questions - why on Earth would GM use such a fastener in routine positions on Corvair vans, and what is their proper name?