<VV> Spanish Greenbrier scam?

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 14:44:19 EST 2020

Obviously, I don't know when or how that vehicle was imported to Spain, nor
whether it was done as a new or used vehicle.  Therefore I have no idea what
regulations may have been applicable.  However, EU rules on VINs includes:
"The VIN shall be marked by stamping or mechanical hammering on the chassis,
frame or other similar structure."
Clearly the original VIN on an attached tag does not meet that requirement.
It is POSSIBLE (not known to me!!!!!) that the serial number was stamped
into the body as part of the import process.

Those of us in the US that have never been involved with vehicle
import/export don't have a lot of background on answering why a vehicle that
might be in Spain has the VIN stamped into it.  A resident of the EU should
have a better chance of knowing or finding that information.

As far as the "5" vs. "S", it was probably a clerical error by the
government employee or licensed/bonded contractor that did the import
paperwork and nobody noticed.  It would be akin to you dropping the digit
"2" out of the posted VIN.  If the official documents all match what is
stamped into the vehicle, it is probably best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Jim Becker