<VV> Stripped plug.

larry at forman.net larry at forman.net
Mon Jan 13 17:18:07 EST 2020

Smitty,

I highly recommend TimeSerts at Timesert.com for thread repair inserts
and oversized thread repair.  Since TimeSerts install with the insert
thicker at the bottom of the hole they are less likely to pull out.  I
have never had a Timesert spark plug insert pull out.  They make Bigsert
Timeserts for repair of a thread repair that failed.   The BigSerts for
spark plugs must have a hole diameter smaller than 0.660 or 16.8mm.
Check out their website.   Note that you need the Timesert special
insert kit so that is an extra expense, but they are great for a club to
own.

I regularly repair head stud threads and have never had one pull out
PROVIDED you run a tap over the pulled stud threads.   If you do not do
that, the special threads on the head studs will jam in the Timesert and
rip it out of the relatively soft aluminum block.   Make very sure to
test the head studs on a standard nut thread so this does not happen.
It is an easy way to trash a block or require a BigSert.

I have repaired head stud threads that were "repaired" with Helicoils
and one with a BigSert where the Helicoil ripped out and the hole was
too large for a Standard TimeSert.   Note that they also make longer
TimeSerts for the head studs that work great.

Once you use these you will likely always use them for thread repair.
Each size TimeSert requires the mating installation kit.

Larry