<VV> Tire life

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Mon Jan 27 01:24:54 EST 2020

On 1/21/2020 5:32 PM, Bryan Blackwell via VirtualVairs wrote:
> For those of you who wish to read further on tire life (in years), here are links to some studies on the subject from the folks who declared our Corvair safe:
>
> NHTSA Tire Aging Test Development Project Phase 1:
> https://one.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NRD/Multimedia/PDFs/Crash%20Avoidance/2009/811201.pdf
>
> NHTSA Tire Aging Test Development Project Phase 2:
> https://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NVS/Vehicle%20Research%20&%20Test%20Center%20(VRTC)/ca/capubs/811780.pdf

The accelerated aging test is interesting - note what they did -

"50 percent nitrogen gas and 50 percent oxygen gas (50%N2/50%O2) and
aged in a circulating air oven for 3 or 5 weeks at 65°C. The fill gas
was vented and refreshed weekly to maintain a sufficient supply of
oxygen gas in the tire cavity to support oxidative aging."

That is  50% oxygen in the tires - not the 21% of standard atmosphere -
and vented and refreshed weekly to keep that percentage up.

I don't see any references to actual tests of tires used on the road. I
wonder how relevant this artificial aging of the inner tire is, when in
service the oxygen content of the air in the tire will drop as oxidation
takes place.  The failures of the inner surface and between layers could
be heavily influenced by this.

If nothing else, don't run old tires underinflated or at the maximum
rated loads for long periods of time!

Jay

--
Jay Maechtlen