<VV> Tire life

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Mon Jan 27 05:24:16 EST 2020

Is that why they use nitrogen in tires today? To stop oxidisation? I
thought it was because the molecules were bigger so the pressure stayed
up longer, and apparently they are affected less by heat?
Boeing had a 747 explode once because it had been sitting on a very hot
runway for hours with a nearly empty fuel tank, and there was a spark in
the wiring inside the tank which set everything off. Their solution was
ingenious, by "filtering" the air going into the tank. Only the oxygen
atoms could get through, and they were thrown away, leaving the tank to
fill with non-explosive nitrogen. I think I got tht the right way round
re molecule size.