<VV> Windshield panel update

tony.. tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Jul 19 13:08:52 EDT 2020

On 7/17/2020 3:44 PM, Bryan Blackwell via VirtualVairs wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> It looks like I'm finally going to get back to my panel install on Pamela the '66, it's been a shelf for too long.  And as a recent GRM column noted, it's taking up shop space.  Much as the excuses might be good, I think I'll get back to it this weekend and do *something*.  I picked up some All Metal filler, I've heard good things about it, to handle the corners that were originally leaded.  Anyone else getting on with a project?  I suspect some of us could use some positive reinforcement.
>
> --Bryan

I have a string of projects.  I used to have more...

There is a bit of a fleet of cars here.  I have begun to consider that I
do not wanna spend the rest of my life refurbishing a never ending
stream of projects.  So, I have thinned the fleet.

Recent disposals:

1988 Yugo GVX.  Actually not a project, just been parked-stored for a
while.  A guy from outta state found out I had it, called me and made an
offer I couldn't refuse.  Seems that the GVX models in particular have
gained respect and are beginning to bring real money.

1974 Fiat X1/9.  Also not a project, fun car but I just don't fit it. My
feet are too big for one... the brake and clutch pedals are the size of
Oreo cookies and I can press them both with one foot.  Likewise, with
the seat as far back as possible (against the back firewall) I still had
to bow my knees around the steering wheel.  Too tall, feet too big, had
to drive it in sock feet so a friend made an offer and I took it.

1961 Lakewood.  There were three of them.  This one was in much less
better ( is that a thing, "less better"?) shape than the other two
Lakewoods one of which is a rock solid straight car ready for paint, so...

1961 Lakewood #2.  Roman Red, original paint, solid car except for a
hole in the driver side floor.  Also low miles (58k), had spend decades
stored in a hanger at an air field before I ended up with it.  Someone
wanted it more than I did.  Now there's just the one which is not for
sale.

1974 Gremlin-X.  Levi edition, needed paint, interior less than
spectacular, but a good runner.  A bud bought it, drove it a while, then
sold it to someone 50 miles away who is now the proud owner and happy to
have it.

1964 Monza project-parts car.  110 4-speed, had an oil bath heavy duty
air cleaner.  Was involved in flood water about 12" deep that got into
the floor but the driveline was dry.  The car was left sitting for about
2 years.  Floors suffered.  A lot.  Needed the entire floor pan.  Engine
turned easily, plugs looked ok etc but I didn't try to start it.
Someone wanted it so...

I kept the excellent condition oil bath air cleaner.  :)

1969 Monza coupe project. Another Corvair club member was aware it was
here and wanted it, traded me some non-car items for it.  interestingly
enough, the car is still here, new owner hasn't moved it yet.

1988 Subaru XT-6.  Stored for a decade.  Decent car, ~85k miles.  But
unnecessary.  Interesting engine.  Acquired by the same guy who bought
the Gremlin.  SWMBO decreed that since she already had a Subaru, this
one needed to be turned into cash.  It did not get turned into cash...

...it got turned into a 1941 Pontiac coupe.  The guy offered to swap.
It's a project itself but it's complete, straight, and "ran when parked"
10 years ago and is awaiting its turn for attention.  Engine still turns
freely and even the exhaust is intact.  SWMBO approved.  Considers it
half-hers.

1968 Roadrunner project, 440 TF automatic w/Dana-60 rear diff (yeah '68
Roadrunners never came with a 440), had lots of goodies.  Sold it to
help finance other projects.

---------------------

Currently doing some work on my 1960 700 4-door.

Also currently doing work on my 1966 Plymouth Satellite, a car that I
really like, going through the engine, waiting on new freeze plugs to
get here, figgered now is as good a time as any to replace them all
seeing as how one of them was leaking.  From the center.  Not a good
sign.  Also a good time for a camshaft upgrade, picked out a relatively
not-so-mild street-strip variant, .488 lift, 288° duration. It's a
sizeable step up from the factory HP cam that was in the engine.  Still
much to do.

At the same time I'm helping my bud with that same '68 Roadrunner I sold
him that's occupying half my shop at the moment.  It's getting new trunk
floor sheet metal, new gas tank, and new SS rear springs and some
cosmetic paint work underneath, something he feels is necessary.

shaft bearing, or, another differential (got one in the barn).

Sometime soon I need to get the engine into the '63 Spyder ragtop.
Likewise the fresh windshield to replace the bad one that has been out
now for over a year.  Following that, maybe hit a lick or two on that
Pontiac or the '61 Lakewood which is prepped for paint and still waiting
on it.

After those... I'll pick and choose as time permits.

Sometime today I need to move the '58 Fiat 600 Multipla from where it is
now, beside the former driveway, to under the big car port since the
tank trap that is currently what used to be the driveway is going to get
resurfaced tomorrow and I want the Multipla away from the bulldozer
that's gonna be trundling up and down.

It's always something... ha!  :)

tony..

ps:  there are still others yet.