<VV> Rust prevention

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Sat Jun 6 07:07:20 EDT 2020

Fascinating story about Rustoleum/fish oil. But I use POR-15 to seal
rust. They make a very good rust treatment which, for some reason, they
call 'metal prep'. It's a phosphoric acid based solution that works very
well. And their gloss black paint is just superb for sealing it in. It
sticks like nothing I have ever known. You can only get the lid off the
tin once. If you get paint on the rim, you will never prise it off
again. For that reason they sell packs of small tins. I usually drill a
hole in the tin then tape over it, then slosh the paint around to seal
it.
I also use POR-15 as a selaer and adhesive. I just rebuilt a Jaguar XKE
engine and stuck the core plugs in with POR-15. They make a paste
version also. I used that to glue the bonnet pull handle onto the shaft
on my Impala (I think the shaft was threaded but the handle wasn't, or
something like that - anyway it's still on there).
Incredible stuff. And it brushes on nicely a flows out beautifully to a
high gloss.