<VV> Loose axle

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Thu Mar 5 17:21:51 EST 2020

Not that simple. I am looking for an on-the-car wheel balancer. The
nearest one I found is in Atlanta. Pep Boys down the road has a
'road-force' balancer which I suppose is the next best thing. My wheels
are Daytons - pretty stock-looking, not like these kids that have the
wheels hanging out a foot from the wheel arches.
I have my reservations about these wheels Dayton incidentally. I once
had a wheel fall off as I was backing out of a shed in my back yard. It
fell off in the space of moving the car ten feet. What had happened was
that there was a wooden box on the ground just the right height to catch
the spinner as I backed out. That unscrewed the spinner a turn or two
and then the drive teeth disengaged and spun the hub the rest of the way
out.
If the spinners come loose while driving forward, the back wheels will
tend to screw themselves back on, but if the front spinners come loose,
the front wheels will fall off when you brake. Not funny. Why don't they
have proper splines like traditional British Rudge Whitworth wire
wheels?