<VV> Non Working Stock Tachometer in a '66

tony underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Mar 10 12:30:08 EDT 2020

> On March 10, 2020 at 12:07 PM Jim Becker via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:
>

> I thought the late model ('65-'66) tachs were all solid state, without a
> separate sending unit.  If not, I stand corrected on my earlier suggestion.
> My comments about voltage on one wire "The other connects to the distributor
> (should be hot with ignition on and points open)." would apply to the wire
> from the distributor to the sending unit.

YIKES!!

I forgot where I was for a minute!

ALL Corvair tachs were self-contained, electronics inside.  I got my replies mixed up with the MOPAR mail list which was also talking about factory tachs and THEY had external sending units until the later '60s.

My bad.

Now that said:   Corvair (read: GM-Delco) tachs suffer from dried out capacitors on the board inside the tach case.  I've fixed a few simply by swapping out new capacitors on the board (the electrolytic caps) and also making sure the diodes were not leaking current backwards.  I have schematics for both early and late tachs if anyone is interested.  Both are pretty much the same, electronically.

tony..