<VV> [fastvair] Carburetor Mystery

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Sat Mar 21 06:07:06 EDT 2020

I didn't say compromise, I said compensate! By which I mean that the
essential problem with all carbs are that
1) when you want to increase the quantity of fuel/air mixture the
engine breathes in, you open a butterfly. And when you do this, the air
will speed up much more quickly than the (heavier) gasoline. So we have
accelerator pumps to compensate.
2) A main jet that is big enough to allow sufficient fuel for
full-throttle operation is going to be too big to atomise the fuel at
idle. So we have half a dozen different jets which all do different
things. And they all have to transition smoothly.
The beauty of the SU is that it completely eliminates both of these
problems at a stroke by making both the jet and the venturi variable in
size, so the mixture is stable throughout the range. Such a simple
solution to a complex problem.
When I used to play with old motorbikes, we used carbs made by Amal.
The idle was controlled by an adjustable idle jet. Then for the next 1/4
throttle, the mixture was dictated by the throttle slide cut-away. From
1/4 to 3/4 throttle it was dictated by the needle position (in the
slide) and the last 1/4 was dictated by the size of the main jet alone.
The trick was to et a smooth transition between all four, and that is
the problem that haunts all carbs in some way or other. Except the SU of
course!
The SU is also the nearest thing to a programmable carburettor. You
don't need a lap-top either. They make millions of different needles
with all possible variations of taper, so you can tweak the mixture
strength at any point in the throttle range by swapping needles on a
trial and error basis. There is an interesting graph of how each needle
varies and where, on the bizarrely named Minty Lamb website;
http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/suneedle/