<VV> Carb mystery

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Sat Mar 21 17:22:35 EDT 2020

I don't have a particular problem with the carb on the Corvair. They
are no worse than most others out there. But if you are used to a carb
with one needle and one jet, and no transitions from one jet to another
as you open the throttle, and no accelerator pump to compensate for the
fact that the airflow speeds up more rapidly than the fuels flow, and
all the other gubbins that most other carbs have to compensate for the
problems that are inherent in building a functioning carburettor, if you
are used to a carb which is free of all these things, then they all look
hideously complicated.
There may be only one removable jet on the Corvair carb (and I couldn't
get mine out of course) but I found lots of things with holes in them
that squirt fuel in various directions. I never found out what was wrong
with mine - I just soaked it in carburettor cleaner overnight and it was
fine.
And the method of adjusting the accelerator pump, if I recall, is to
bend the operating rod.
The most egregious thing I found was a hole somewhere near the base of
the carb that was covered by a rubber bung which was attached to some
sort of lever. I have no idea what its function was, but it struck me as
a proper Heath-Robinson arrangement which was just asking to give
trouble (Heath-Robinson may be a British in-joke, I'm not sure).
But my affection for SU carbs is not 'regional', I assure you. They do
a better job without all the level of complication that all other
carburettors deem necessary - with one exception; the SU equalises fuel
flow and air flow by slowing down the air by damping the piston. Most
other carbs have accelerator pumps which, instead of slowing down the
air, speed up the fuel. These will give a snappier throttle response,
although you'd be hard put to detect it.
An SU has only one size of jet. You alter the mixture throughout the
range by screwing the jet up and down. If you want to make it relatively
richer or leaner at a certain point in the range, you swap over the
needle, for one of the gazillion needles they list for every conceivable
purpose. But SU specify a needle for every vehicle. Obviously not for
the Corvair, so when I get round to fitting mine, I shall start with an
educated guess - probably a BEV needle, as that is what I have in my
Morris Minor with the same carb. I know that will work, then I'll tweak
it from there. I even fitted an identical 1.75" SU to my Harley & took
off the fuel injection, purely because with injection, I am powerless to
do anything if it breaks down on the road and for no other reason. That
of course needed a different needle, partly due to the irregular power
stroke on a V twin.
I believe there was a maxim in aircraft design to "Simplicate and add
lightness". Well, the SU certainly simplicates the whole business of
mixing fuel and air and feeding it into an engine. I firmly believe that
simplicity is a virtue when it comes to cars in general and carburettors
in particular.