<VV> Carb mystery

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Sun Mar 22 08:49:20 EDT 2020

You mean the float chamber isn't always vented to atmosphere? SU's are.
Unless you want to turbo-charge them, then the float has to have the
same pressure as the air intake. As I write these words I've just
realised something - th Spyder SUCKS through the carb, like a
supercharger, doesn't it? I've never seen that before - the only
carburated cars with a turbo I've seen are the MG Metro's, where the
carb is AFTER the turbo (which is why the float chamber need to be
pressurised). Interesting. Turbo-charging didn't really come in until
fuel injection, in the UK at any rate. Does that make the Spyder unique?
On a broader note, your comments about that flap valve thing, and
bending linkages to make them work, point up the difference between
American and European engineering. American cars are, without wishing to
be insulting, crude by coparison. But they work, and work well.
It was the same in WWII - German aircraft were built to perfection by
skilled matser-craftsmen. Consequently they took ages to build, and had
to be sent back to the factory for repair. The U.S., by contrast,
churned out aircraft by the million. They were not perfect, but they
were good enough to do the job. Instead of Master crafstmen, they were
built by 'Rosie the rivetter' on the production line - housewives who
wer trained to do one specific job and nothing more. We all know which
system prevailed.
The Nazis believed that a woman's place was in the home, so, when they
had to send their skilled men to the front, they used slaves from the
concentration camps. When these poor sols weren't actually dropping dead
on the job, they were sabotaging their work.
So American pragmatism triumphed over nazi ideology.