<VV> Corona Virus

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Tue Mar 31 18:49:12 EDT 2020

In England we are encouraged to panic, and practically the entire
economy has been shut down. As usual these days, everybody is reacting
with hysteria rather than reason. I prefer to look at the numbers; on
the British government's own prediction, one person in a hundred will
actually catch this thing, and one in three thousand head of population
are actually going to die from it. And that is not a random mortality
rate - it will be those whose health is already compromised who will
die.
You are three thousand times more likely to die of something other than
Corona-virus.
In order to propagate itself, this glorified flu bug has to find its
way from the lungs of an infected person or a carrier into the lungs of
its next victim. That is not a particularly easy task for the virus, and
with some elementary precautions we can make it damn near impossible.
My bigger concern is what happens next time? We seem to have seen an
unusually large number of nasty bugs in the last few years, and with
increased global travel these things spread much further and faster than
they would have done not so many years ago. This virus will eventually
disappear. But what happens if it comes back, as the Black Death did,
several times? Or if something similar comes along? We can't keep
shutting the entire economy down every time. I wouldn't be surprised if
the death toll from suicide, together with widespread business collapses
and bankruptcies, divorces etc, turns out to be worse than the disease
these measures are supposed to save us from.