<VV> Blowing fuses

Hugo Miller hugo at aruncoaches.co.uk
Sun May 3 14:55:01 EDT 2020

Forgive me for butting in, but I don't think this is clear; the
courtesy light for sure is grounded by the door switch. Possibly the
glove box also. So anything that goes to ground on those circuits will
just bring the light on and nothing else.
If there is a short between the fuse and the lamp itself, that will
blow the fuse. But downstream of the lamp it won't.
I think the only thing to do is trace every circuit that is fed by that
fuse. The light switch itself must be upstream of the fuse, in which
case you can rule out the tail lamps and brake lights as the fuse blows
with the lamps off and presumably without your foot on the brake.
You need to find a circuit that is live with everything switched off,
and that to me points either to the clock, or to the wiring between the
fuse box and the courtesy lamp or glovebox lamp. Have a peek under the
dash to see if the wires to the glove box lamp or dome light have chafed
through on anything.
Kenworth trucks, incidentally, have a brilliant system whereby there
are no live feeds to the dash; every switch on the dash simply grounds a
relay that activates the circuit. So if anything shorts out behind the
dash, instead of the truck going up in flames, all that happens is that
a circuit comes on when it shouldn't. Clever.