<VV> Need some shop advice on exhaust studs

FrankDuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Nov 9 22:41:04 EST 2020

Well, Dave Motohead has a nice video, but he lives in the make believe
world of rust free cars in California, so wax does work for him. Just
look at the exhaust manifold in the video, look brand new compared to
our east coast rusted manifolds. Why, even the ear is full size!

Here in the rusty east, I have developed a fool proof method of removing
exhaust studs. I did NOT say easy.

Remove manifold from engine.

Mount manifold in sturdy bench vise with the flange up. As level as
possible so you can align the drill plumb.

Cut bad stud off flush with ear.

Center mark as well as you can the fresh cut stud.

Drill through with a 1/8" bit.

Drill through with a 5/16" bit.

Tap for 3/8-16 new stud.

Yes, sometimes the method will unscrew the old stud, but not usually. I
do not even try to use an Easy-Out, left handed drill bit, or other stud
removing methods. I've wasted too many hours dealing with removing and
then having to drill and tap anyway. I've worn down many 5/16" bits over
the years. I am good at resharpening with a bench grinder. Sharp is
good, dull will drive you nuts and waste your time. Slow Speed! Lots of
lube.

I put in the stainless steel studs as replacements. And brass nuts. Use
lock washers, as brass on stainless steel will not stay!

Frank