<VV> Need some shop advice on exhaust studs

tony.. tony.underwood at cox.net
Thu Nov 12 15:26:05 EST 2020

On 11/9/2020 6:00 PM, Matt via VirtualVairs wrote:
> https://youtu.be/7qqMXXGgFQg
>
> Matt Nall

If the stud is snapped off flush, I get them out by welding a nut onto
the broken stud then work the fastener back and forth with a wrench.
Don't try to just brute-force unscrew it straight-off.  Rock it back and
forth a bit at a time til it loosens.  Usually the welding heat is
enough to burn off much of the O2 in the rust which grips the stud,
leaving grey ferrite behind.  In other words, it shrinks slightly.  This
usually allows you to unscrew the fastener.  Usually. Other times you
may need to heat the cast iron til it's just short of glowing, Then try
rocking the fastener left then right then left etc.  Don't wait for the
work to cool do it while it's hot.

No luck?  Repeat the process, until it Does come loose.  Sometimes it
takes patience.

Do NOT use impact tools.  It never works... :)

I'm not seen a broken stud in an exhaust manifold I couldn't get out
this way.

BTW... as far as penetrants go, it's hard to beat a 50-50 mix of ATF and
acetone, and old school Liquid Wrench is running a tight (no pun) 2nd in
its ability to loosen stuck stuff.

The wax trick can also work since just about anything that will weep
down the threads is going to help the fastener to turn.

tony..

--
https://www.avg.com