<VV> covid 19 vaccine shot

William Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Mon Mar 1 15:55:10 EST 2021

Ok, I know we are off topic here.  However, as a physician, and therefore possessing more than casual knowledge of medicine, let me explain the presence or lack of side effects depends on many factors, including genetics, age, medications, other health conditions, etc.

AS A GENERAL RULE, more severe side effects tend to be seen in younger individuals and/or people with a history of prior exposure to the virus - reason being younger people generally have a more responsive immune system and prior exposure sensitizes the immune system (primes the pump, so to speak).

HOWEVER!  The presence or lack of side effects has very little correlation with the protective effect of the vaccine - it works just as well in people who don’t have side effects as in people who do.

ALSO!!  While we do NOT recommend taking analgesics (acetaminophen, ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen) PROPHYLACTICALLY (taken before a vaccine) to prevent  symptoms, it is PERFECTLY OK to take them to TREAT vaccine-related side effects once (if) they develop.

Side effects can range from none to moderately severe, and may include fevers (perhaps as high as 103, but 101 or less is more typcial), chills, sweats, nausea, fatigue, myalgias (aches) - but NOT cough, sore throat, or altercation of smell or taste.   Side effects, if present, usually resolve after 24-36 hours, and rarely require serious treatment.

For what it’s worth, but my wife (65) and I (66) had Moderately Severe side effects the day following our second dose of the Moderna Vaccine - for one day only!  We survived and are both perfectly healthy now.

Get your shots, people.  Do it for yourself and for all the people you care about.

Dr. Bill Hubbell