<VV> How to destroy a carb float the easy way

tony.. tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Nov 29 10:26:22 EST 2021

On 11/28/2021 9:36 AM, Grant via VirtualVairs wrote:
> I occasionally find crushed floats in the hundreds of carburetors I take apart each year (maybe 5%). I have not really been concerned since I had spares, until I recently disassembled a set of 3 YH carbs from a 1953 Corvette (almost the same as the Corvair YH, but with a manual choke and twice the price), and found all 3 floats crushed to the point that they could not be recovered with the dunk in boiling water trick.

Have you tried some carefully applied heat to the float with a heat
gun?   Not too much, you don't wanna unsolder the seams on the float.

> These have become very rare, so I went on a web search to find out what might have caused it. Turns out that the best way to crush a float is to completely seal the inlet to the carburetor when trying to start the engine or when running. I recall reading on this forum some time ago that you might be able to clear some plugging in a carb by placing a hand over the inlet while it was running (I have done it on some secondary carbs to see if they were sealing properly), so I am sharing this to discourage such activity and save a float. Happy Thanksgiving weekend.
> Grant

I'm wondering...

Not sure how making  vacuum across the carb inlet via capping it while
running (to suck out whatever might be clogging any passages etc) could
pressurize the carb's fuel bowl.   It would create a vacuum instead.
Something else must be causing the float to squish itself.   If the carb
were to be dry from sitting and the bowl vent was clogged, incoming fuel
from the fuel pump could build up enough pressure in the float bowl to
collapse the float.   Five PSI could likely do it.

I haven't been able to cook up any schemes as to  what else could
collapse a carb float...

tony..

--
https://www.avg.com