<VV> A/C car idle question

William Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Thu Apr 21 08:15:58 EDT 2022

Grant,

Yes, a vacuum/electric idle advance unit is used on all 1962-mid’65 Corvairs with AC and they all get the vacuum from the choke pull off line as you described.   The purpose of the unit is to increase the idle speed when the compressor is running to prevent stalling the engine, due to the increased load of the compressor.

1961 had a smaller (A5) compressor and did not use a fast idle solenoid.

1962-65 units were mounted on the right condenser support and acted on the throttle cross-shaft by means of an attached finger (‘62-‘63) or fork (‘64-‘65). 1962-3 used a “pusher” unit, whereas 1964 through mid-1965 used a “puller” unit.  In mid-1965 they switched to an all electric unit, mounted in the same location.  1966 moved the solenoid to the left side and was attached to the top shroud (turkey roaster) by a single arm.  1967 added a second arm to better support the heavy all-electric solenoid.

The mid-1965 all-electric solenoid was the replacement unit for all earlier models once it was introduced.

The carburetors are identical to non-AC cars in every respect other than the addiction of the “T” fitting in the vacuum advance hose for the vacuum driven units.

I have detailed photos on the Stock Corvair Web site here:

 http://stock.corvair.org/2014/08/corvair-ac-idle-speed-control-assemblies/

Also on Corvair Center Forum:

http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,1118052,page=7

Or, if you are on Facebook, here:

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=StockCorvairGroup&set=a.168036950053874

And here is a photo of the “T” fitting - NOS!!

Bill