<VV> Adding trans/transaxle lube

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Sep 27 11:18:53 EDT 2026


I agree, GL-4 because the transmission synchros (brass) share the 
differential fluid.

And just because a bottle says GL-4  along with GL-5 does /not /mean 
that is GL-4 lube! Has to be GL-4 without the GL-5 type.

The fill is a square head plug on the side of the differential near the 
left axle shaft.

You can also fill through the hex head plug on the left side of the 
transmission.\

Either way the fluid will slowly level into both the trans and diff, so 
you may need to take an hour or just check it again tomorrow.

Or the slooooooowwwwww way is to cut the lube tip very small and take 
your time pouring it through the dipstick!  Yes, it works.

Frank DuVal

On 9/26/2026 2:04 PM, Jay via VirtualVairs wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Sat, 26 Sep 2026, Tim Frederick via VirtualVairs wrote:
>
>> Spellcheck changed subject text. I am adding 90w lube.
>>
>>> On Sep 26, 2026, at 1:31 PM, Tim Frederick <tcf2769 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am working on a 1964 Spyder Coupe with a 4 speed trans. I just 
>>> acquired this vehicle and when checking the transaxle fluid level, 
>>> it does not appear on the dipstick.
>
>    Yup, it's low...
>
>>> Can anyone tell me where to add the gear oil? I have read several 
>>> articles that say different things.
>
>    Use GL-4 80W90 gear lube.  NOT GL-5!
>
>    I just purchased a couple quarts of "DRIVEN GL-4 80W90" from Amazon.
>
>       --- Jay Nugent
>           o CORSA member
>           o DACC member
>           0 1964 Greenbrier Delux 95HP engine with Powerglide
>           Ypsilanti, Michigan
>
> _______________________________________________
> This message was sent by the VirtualVairs mailing list, all copyrights 
> are the property
> of the writer, please attribute properly. For help, 
> mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
> This list sponsored by the Corvair Society of America, 
> http://www.corvair.org/
> Post messages to: VirtualVairs at corvair.org
> Change your options: 
> http://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/options/virtualvairs
> Archives: http://www.vv.corvair.org/archive.htm
> _______________________________________________


More information about the VirtualVairs mailing list